With stories of poor water quality making headlines across the country, and increasing consumer demand for water treatment systems, the need for qualified, knowledgeable professionals to install and maintain these systems has never been higher. Since there are no established qualification standards or third-party certifications for water treatment equipment installers, some of these devices are being installed improperly – plumbers may lack the necessary knowledge to properly setup water treatment equipment, and water treatment dealers may lack the necessary knowledge to properly size and plumb water treatment systems. The goal of the ASSE 22000 Program is to offer an industry-composed standard, developed by both water treatment and plumbing professionals, along with an industry-developed certification program to provide water treatment installers with the necessary skills, and code and technology competencies to safely and correctly install and maintain water treatment equipment. The result will be properly trained professionals, properly operating water treatment equipment, and safer, healthier and happier water consumers.
What’s being developed?
ASSE Standard Series 22000, Professional Qualifications Standard for Water Treatment Equipment Personnel, and ASSE 22000 Water Treatment Equipment Personnel Certification.
Goals of the Program
- Create a nationally recognized, ANSI-designated American National Standard (ASSE Series 22000, Professional Qualifications Standard for Water Treatment Equipment Personnel).
- Create a nationally recognized third-party professional certification program for water treatment equipment personnel that can be easily adopted by regulatory bodies (ASSE 22000 Water Treatment Equipment Personnel Certification).
- Open up new opportunities for training providers to offer water treatment equipment installation and maintenance courses for third-party ASSE 22000 Certification.
- Develop instructional objectives that meet ASSE 22000 requirements for training water treatment installer and maintenance professionals.
- Properly installed and maintained water treatment equipment will provide safer and healthier water to consumers.
- The plumbing industry and water treatment dealers will have a third-party certification program for ensuring qualifications.
- ASSE 22000 Certified professionals will have the necessary skills and competencies, which will be maintained through recertification requirements.
- ASSE Series 22000 will be created by a working group consisting of both water treatment professionals and plumbing industry professionals.
- ASSE Series 22000 will focus on core competencies needed for proper installation and maintenance of water treatment equipment.
- Comprehensive training courses will be conducted by training providers independent of ASSE.
- Certified individuals and approved training providers will be listed on ASSE’s website.
- ASSE 22000 Certification will provide regulators who are considering new regulatory requirements for water treatment equipment installation with a third-party certification option.
- Authorities having jurisdiction that operate specialty license programs for water treatment equipment installation will have the ability to use ASSE 22000 Certification as an alternative to specialty licenses.
- Model plumbing codes can adopt ASSE Series 22000, Professional Qualifications Standard for Water Treatment Equipment Personnel, and ASSE 22000 Water Treatment Equipment Personnel Certification.
About ASSE International
ASSE International is an ANSI-accredited standards developer and certification body composed of members representing all disciplines of the plumbing and mechanical industries. ASSE’s product performance standards, professional qualifications standards, professional certification and product listing programs aim to improve the performance and safety of plumbing and mechanical systems. Learn more at www.asse-plumbing.org.
For more information about ASSE International, ASSE Standard Series 22000, or ASSE 22000 Water Treatment Equipment Personnel Certification, contact Marianne Waickman, ASSE International professional qualifications director, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (708) 995-3015.